top of page
  • 1. What changes to drones with the European regulations?
    European regulations distinguish drones based on the risk their operation entails and not between recreational and professional activities.
  • 2. How are drones categorized according to European Regulations?
    Drones are categorized into: those operating in the "open category" and: A. carry a class identification label (CE marking) according to Regulation (EU) 2019/945, ranging from 0 to 4 (lighter to heavier models), B. are privately manufactured, or C. were placed on the market before 1 January 2023. those that operate in the "special" category (do not meet even one of the conditions for operating in the open category), including those with a class identification label (CE marking) 5 or 6 (according to Regulation (EU) 2019/945) and operate in specific standardized scenarios those operating in the "certified" category as the risk involved in their operation requires certification of the drone, the operator and the operator.
  • 3. What is the EASA A1\A3 certificate?
    The EASA A1/A3 certificate is a recognized certificate in all EASA member countries and you can fly: ✈️ In category A1, class C0-C1 drone, up to 900gr, near people ✈️ In category A3, drone class C0-C1-C2-C3 up to 25kg, at a distance of 150m from people-houses Theoretical Courses Flight safety Airspace restrictions Aviation Legislation Limitations of human performance Operating procedures General knowledge about UAS Privacy and data protection Insurance Protection from illegal actions
  • 4. What is the EASA A2 certificate?
    The EASA A2 certificate is a recognized certificate in all EASA member countries and you can fly: ✈️ In category A1, class C0-C1-C2 drone, up to 4kg, at a distance of 30m from people (or 5 meters with the "low speed" function activated) For the A2 subcategory you should: ​ --> This can be done either by doing the self-training yourself, keeping the evidence from proof, to familiarize yourself with the drone and ensure you reach a good level of control This should take place in an area where you do not pose a risk to other people. --> or choose to practice with a Makdrone certified instructor 💻Theoretical Courses Meteorology UAS flight performance Technical and operational risk mitigation methods on the ground
  • 5. Do I get my certificate from you?
    We, as a certified training and examination center, issue the certificates of attendance of the theory and successufl passing of the examinations. You have to submit the certificates to the Civil Aviation Authority, which issues the pilots' certificates.
  • 6. Can I fly my drone anywhere I want?
    Greece, like every EASA member state, will define geographic drone zones, which are areas where drones cannot fly (e.g. national parks, city centers or near airports) or can only fly under certain conditions or may fly with a permit to fly. The geographic zones will apply to all categories of drones. Therefore, it is mandatory to be informed about the geographical zones of drones by the Air Traffic Authorities of our Service until their final adoption. Please note that you may not fly a drone near or in an area where there is an ongoing emergency response situation!
  • 7. Can I fly my drone over people?
    In the open" category you are not allowed to fly over non-involved people unless you have a privately built drone weighing less than 250g or a commercially purchased drone with a class identification label (CE ) 0 or 1. In any case, try to minimize the time you fly over people. If you have a drone marked C2, in subcategory A2, as a general rule, keep the UAS at a lateral distance from any non-involved person, no less than the height at which the drone is flying ( 1:1 rule ie if the UAS is flying at a height of 40m, the distance from any non-involved person should be at least 40m) and never fly closer than 30m horizontally from any non-involved person .
  • 8. How high can I fly my drone?
    your maximum flight height is generally 120 meters from the surface of the earth. If you have to fly over an obstacle higher than 120m, you are allowed to fly up to 15m above the height of the obstacle, but only if there is exclussive approval from the owner of the obstacle (eg a contract with the owner to carry out an inspection ). In such a case, you can fly at a horizontal distance of 50m from the obstacle. When operating in a hilly environment, you must keep the drone at a distance of 120m from the nearest point of the ground. This means that there can be conditions such as on top of a hill where even if you hold your drone 120m from the side of the hill, you are actually flying more than 120m above the bottom of the valley. So as long as you keep your drone within 120m of the side of the hill (as in the gray area in the image below), your flight is legal.
  • 9. Is there a minimum age to fly a drone?
    The minimum age for drone operators (must be registered in the information system) in the "open" and "special" category is 16 years. However, there is no minimum age to fly a drone marked C0 in subcategory A1.
  • 10. Do I need insurance when flying a drone?
    Third party liability insurance is required for each drone a) used for professional purposes and b) equal to or greater than 4 kgs for private use, based on our national legislation.
  • 11. When does my drone belong to the open category?
    When: carries one of the CE markings 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4, or is privately manufactured and weighs less than 25kg, or purchased before January 1, 2023, without a Class Identification (CE) label as above does not work directly over people unless lighter than 250g. maintains visual line of sight (VLOS) or the remote operator receives visual assistance from a UA observer. flies at a height of no more than 120m. does not carry hazardous materials and does not drop any materials in flight.
  • 12. How do I determine the open subclass I fly my drone in?
    open subcategory is defined by: the label showing the class identification (CE) (0, 1, 2, 3 or 4) and affixed to the drone by the manufacturer or the weight of your drone, when it is privately built or does not have a Class Identification (CE) label Note: Drones without Class Identification (CE) tags can be flown until January 1, 2023 in limited subclasses. following the instructions above, refer to the table below to determine the subcategory you should fly in. ​​
  • 13. What are the requirements in the subcategories of the open category?
    Drones with a CE mark of category 0 or privately built and weighing up to 250g can be flown in subcategory A1, which means almost everywhere, except over gatherings of people or areas where air traffic does not allow (consult the DAGR map ). Drones bearing a Category Identification (CE) 1 label may also be used in subcategory A1, except that they are required to minimize flights over non-involved persons. Drones bearing a category (CE) 2 identification label can be used in subcategory A2, i.e. in an urban environment, however, the drone must be kept at a safe distance from non-involved persons. The minimum distance must be equal to the height at which the drone is flying (eg if you are flying at a height of 30m, ensure that the nearest non-involved person is at least 30m away from the position where the drone will fall vertically in the event of an incident) . drones carrying a class identification (CE) label 3 or 4, or privately built and weighing up to 25 kgs, can be used in subcategory A3. This means they can never be used in an urban environment and you must keep the drone at least 150m away from residential, commercial or industrial areas. In any case, you must avoid flying in areas where air traffic has been prohibited (consult the DAGR map). For a complete overview of the requirements and restrictions that apply to the different categories of drones, please refer to the table below:
  • 14. Are all operators required to be trained to fly a drone?
    Yes, in general, you should have training in match with the subcategory you are going to fly. You are not required to train only if you use very light drones: A. if the drone has a CE mark of class 0, you only need to know the instructions of the manufacturer B. if the drone is privately built with a weight of less than 250g, you are not required to do any training In the open category, all operators flying in subcategories A1, A2 and A3 must: familiarize yourself with the manufacturer's manual complete online training courses successfully complete an online knowledge test (40 multiple choice questions) Once the above procedure is completed, the CAA will issue the e-learning completion certificate. With this you fly in subcategories A1 and A3. However, if you intend to operate in subcategory A2, you must additionally: complete your hands-on self-training to familiarize yourself with the drone and ensure you have reached a good level of control. This should be done in an area where it does not pose a risk to other people take an additional theoretical knowledge test (30 multiple choice questions testing the pilot's knowledge of ground hazard mitigation, meteorology and drone flight performance). Upon completion of the above procedure, the CAA will issue the "remote operator proficiency certificate". With this certificate, you also fly in subcategory A2. Upon completion of the above procedure, the CAA will issue the remote operator proficiency certificate. With this certificate, you also fly in subcategory A2.
  • 15. Who issues drone operator certificates and how long are they valid?
    The Greek CAA is responsible for issuing said certificates. All remote operator certificates are valid for five (5) years. If the reissue takes place before the certificate expires, the remote operator may attend a refresher course or take a theoretical knowledge test in accordance with the above. If the reissuance takes place after the certificate has expired, then it repeats the whole process of its certification from the beginning.
  • 16. Are drone operator certificates valid for all of Europe?
    Yes, they are valid in all EASA Member States. The regulations allow the UAS operator to choose the member state that will conduct their training and examinations and receive their certificates.
  • 17. Do I need to obtain a license before flying my drone in the open category?
    No prior authorization is required for flights in the open category. However, you should check chart closely in order to fly under the operational conditions of the open category but only in permitted areas.
  • 18. What are my obligations as a drone operator in the open category?
    As an operator of a drone operating in the open category, you should: ensure that the drone displays the operated drone registration number (e.g. a sticker) and that the same number (increased by three digits) has been transmitted to the drone's remote identification system. set up operational procedures (written procedures are required when the operator uses more than one UAS pilot, otherwise it is sufficient for the operator to follow the procedures specified by the manufacturer in the user manual). ensure that the operator and personnel supporting the operation of the drone are familiar with the user manual, have the appropriate proficiency and certifications for the specific category of drone. make sure people involved in drone operation are aware of the risks involved in case they want to participate The non-compliance of the Operator with the above obligations could end up in monetary fines and other administrative sanctions.
  • 19. Are there any additional costs?
    You will need a fee of 20 euros for the initial issuance of operator and operator certificates by the Greek Civil Aviation Authority.
  • 20. What is the validity of the certifications?
    🛩️The beneficiary number is valid for 3 years. 🛩️Operators' licenses are valid for 5 years. They are renewed after attending a refresher course.
  • 21. How can I pay?
    Payment methods. By debit card by clicking Buy now Transfer through Piraeus Bank: GR17 0172 2100 0052 1010 4209 401 Via vivawallet:
bottom of page